Today, we’re happy to share the latest cost control functionality in ParkMyCloud: SmartParking for Google database and AWS RDS cost optimization – as well as several other improvements and updates to help you find and eliminate cloud waste.
Automatically Detect Idle Google & AWS RDS Databases
“SmartParking” is what we call automatic on/off schedule recommendations based on utilization history. ParkMyCloud analyzes your resource utilization history and creates recommended schedules for each resource to turn them off when they are typically idle. This minimizes idle time to maximize savings on cloud resources.
Like an investment portfolio, users can choose to receive SmartParking schedules that are “conservative”, “balanced”, or “aggressive” — where conservative schedules protect all historic “on” times, while aggressive schedules prioritize maximum savings.
With this release, Google Cloud SQL Databases and AWS RDS instances have been added to the list of resources that can be optimized with SmartParking – a list that also includes AWS EC2 instances, Azure virtual machines, and Google Cloud virtual machine instances.
Why not Azure? At this time, Azure databases can’t be “turned off” in the same way that AWS and Google Cloud databases can. If Azure releases this capability in the future, we will follow with parking and SmartParking capability shortly thereafter.
What Else is New?
In this release, other updates to the ParkMyCloud platform include:
- Configurable notifications – users now have the option for configurable shutdown warning notification times, from 0.25 hours to 24 hours in advance. Notifications can be received through email, Slack, Microsoft Teams, Google Hangouts, or custom webhook.
- Usability updates to Single Sign-On configuration, Google Cloud Credentials add/edit screen, and filtering actions.
See details in the release notes here.
Beyond this most recent release, we’ve made plenty of updates to make ParkMyCloud work for you. These include:
- AWS GovCloud Support
- AWS Marketplace availability
- Override limit for better RBAC around schedule overrides, to keep override lengths – and therefore costs – in check
- Resource utilization graphs, including line graphs and heat maps, to visualize your resources’ utilization patterns
- 15-minute scheduling and fractional override times for more precise on/off schedules
- ParkMyCloud User Community on Slack – feel free to join even if you’re not yet a customer!
How to Get Started
It’s easy to get started with Google database and RDS cost optimization! If you haven’t tried out ParkMyCloud yet, get started with a 14-day free trial. During the trial, you’ll have access to the Enterprise tier, which lets you try out all the features listed above. After your trial is over, you can choose to subscribe to the tier that works for you – or keep using our free tier for as long as you like. See pricing details for more information.
If you already use ParkMyCloud, just log in and head over to the Recommendations tab. Depending on the time-window configured for your SmartParking settings, it may take several days or weeks to accumulate enough metrics data to make good recommendations. To configure the time window for recommendations, navigate to Recommendations and select the gear icon in the upper-right, and choose SmartParking Recommendation Settings. Then, sit back while we collect and analyze your data, and your databases will be SmartParking before you know it.